Software Testing Terminology in 2020 for Software Testers
Software Testing Terminology in 2020 | A test case is a set of conditions under which a tester will determine whether a system under taste satisfies requirements or it works correctly. Process of developing the test cases can also help to find problems in the requirements or design of applications.
Preparation of test cases
As far as possible, writing test cases in such a way that tester test only one thing at a time. Do not overlap test cases, it will be complex. Always attempt to make easy test cases.
Here are some characteristics of good test cases.
- Must be accurate: result in an exact purpose.
- Economical: Do not mention any unnecessary steps or words.
- Traceable: You need to be capable of being traced to requirements.
- Repeatable: Can be used to perform the test cases over and over during the process.
- Reusable: Can be reused if necessary. write in easy and simple to understand language.
- Also, use an active voice like do this and do that etc..
- Use consistent and exact names of forms fields etc.
|Software Testing Terminology|
Test Plan Definition:
In general, a software test plan is a document which describes the testing scope and activities. It is the basis for formally testing any software or product in a project. A document describing the scope, resources, approaches and schedules of intended test activities.
It helps us to identifies among others test item, the features to be tested of the software product, testing tasks, who will do each task of the project, degree of tester independence, test environment, test design techniques and entry and exit criteria to be used, and the rationale of their choices and any risk requiring contingency planning.
It is a record of test planning processes.
- Master Test Plan: A test plan that typically addresses multiple test levels.
- Phase Test Plan: A test plan that typically addresses one test phase.
Error, Bug, Defect and Failure:
- ERROR: In general term, we can say an error is a kind of mistake, misconception, or misunderstanding on the part of software development. In the category of the developer, we include Programmers, Analysts, Software Engineer and Testers.
- BUG: It is the result of the coding error or we can say it an error found in the development environment before the final product is shipped to the customer. It is a terminology of Tester.
- FAILURE: Failure is the inability of a software system or components to perform its required functions within specified performance requirements. When the final product reaches the customer with defects it is called a failure. In the phase of developing software, product failure is tested by Tester.
- FAULT: It means an incorrect step, processes or data definition in the software system which causes the program to perform in an unintended or unanticipated manner. It is introduced into software as a result of errors. It is an anomaly in the software that may cause it to behave incorrectly, and not according to requirements or specifications.
- DEFECT: It is an error found after the application goes into production. Defect commonly refers to several troubles within or with the software products, with its external behaviour or with its internal features.